Consultations Are FREE!

Free Consultation (801) 506-0800

You pay nothing until we win.

West Valley City Personal Injury Attorney

We recently helped a client from West Valley City win a case after being injured in a car accident on Parkway Boulevard and 2700 South. Even though the other driver ran a stop sign and t-boned our client’s car, the insurance company did not want to pay a proper settlement and tried to downplay her injuries. However, we were able to defend her right to compensation and collect the full policy limit from the insurance company.
This case highlights many of the issues that accident victims experience when starting a case and dealing with insurance companies. On this page, we break down some of the common issues after a car accident and demonstrate how the car wreck lawyers at Christensen & Hymas work to solve them for you.

Beverly’s Story: Common Insurance Issues After An Accident

Beverly, was injured in a severe t-bone car accident in West Valley City. A negligent driver ran a stop sign and crashed into the side of Beverly’s car. She suffered serious injuries which required costly medical treatment. Her young son was also injured in the accident, and had to undergo expensive surgery.
In addition to the usual difficulties with insurance companies, Beverly’s case ran into other obstacles. Her case involved some common personal injury case problems and questions. But, we solve these problems and questions frequently. They include:

How do I get compensation for ongoing/future medical treatment?

Beverly needed regular injections as part of her medical treatment. But, car insurance companies will not pay for medical care as it comes due. So, you essentially only get “one bite of the apple” and need to include all damages in your settlement demands. So we met with Beverly’s doctors and had them write a detailed letter outlining what treatment and medical care she will need in the future. We then had an economist calculate how much this care will cost over her lifetime, so we could include it in our settlement demands.

If I am injured in another person’s car, whose insurance is primary and whose is secondary?

Beverly was injured while riding in her father’s car. It’s important to deal with the insurance companies in order of priority. The at-fault driver’s insurance is responsible for the injury claim and damaged car. However, there are additional PIP and UIM benefits that do not come from the at-fault driver’s policy. In Utah, these benefits first come from the insurance company for the car you were riding in at the time of the collision, and then if you are in a car that is not owned by a member of your household, you can make a secondary claim under your personal automobile insurance.

My child was injured in the accident. Can minors receive injury settlements?

Beverly’s 13-year old son needed surgery after the accident. We obtained a full policy limit settlement for him, but Utah law requires judges to approve settlements for minors. So, we had to file a case with district court and schedule a hearing before the judge. The court requires the settlement money to be placed in a locked savings account or in an annuity until the minor is 18 years or older. Parents and guardians cannot use this money for daily care. It belongs to the minor and is only accessible to them after reaching the age of majority. But, it will accrue interest over time, and if the settlement is set up correctly, the interest and settlement will be tax free.

How Can We Help You?

We overcame the obstacles in Beverly’s case and helped her win a large settlement.
If you need a West Valley City personal injury attorney, please contact us today. We work on a contingency fee agreement – meaning that we do not charge for our services until we win your case. We cover many different types of injury cases and offer helpful legal resources.

Cases We Handle:

We represent West Valley City clients in many types of injury cases. These include:

  • Car and bike accidents
  • Motorcycle accidents
  • Dog bites
  • Wrongful deaths
  • And many others

Our attorneys are experienced across many fields of personal injury law. We are confident that we will be able to help you win your case.

FREE Personal Injury Resources- We Wrote The Books on Accident and Injury Claims!
In order to help you understand the law and how it applies to your case, we wrote several handbooks. The books available now include:
7 Biggest Mistakes That Can Wreck Your Utah Accident Case
The Utah Bicycle Accident Handbook
The Utah Dog Bite & Animal Attack Handbook
You can order an absolutely free copy by clicking on the title of the book that interests you. These books will walk you through the basics of your injury case and answer common questions. For the more complicated parts of your case, our attorneys are ready and willing to help.

Contact Your West Valley City Personal Injury Attorney

In addition to free copies of our accident books, we offer a free initial consultation to discuss your case. We have offices in Salt Lake, Utah, Davis and Weber Counties and you can call to set up an appointment at (801) 506-0800. We also visit with potential client in their homes or at the hospital.
We know that the potential costs of an injury case can be frightening. We offer a “No Fee Guarantee” to all of our clients. This means that you will not pay us anything until we win your case. If you have any questions about what we can do for you, contact us today.
We go above and beyond for our clients, but don’t take our word for it. Take a moment to watch our client testimonial videos and read our reviews on Google and Facebook. You’ll see that we truly provide service with integrity and compassion!