KSL News reported that two men were seriously injured in an automobile accident that was caused by a driver texting on a cell phone. According to officers, the driver of an SUV, Elizabeth Bedke, was text messaging when she ran a red light at 800 S. and 200 East, colliding with a minivan. Bedke’s SUV then spun out of control and stuck a man on the street corner, seriously injuring him. The driver of the minivan was also injured and transported by ambulance to the hospital.

Driving while using your cell phone is never safe. In fact, a 2006 University of Utah study found that talking on a cell phone while driving is comparable to driving with a blood-alcohol level of .08 percent. Texting seems to be even more dangerous than talking on a phone, as most drivers will take their eyes off the road for more than six seconds while texting. Considering this, it is appropriate that the driver of the SUV will likely face reckless driving charges.

Another study at Clemson University found there is a 10 percent increase in the amount of time drivers spend outside their lane of travel when texting. California and Washington enacted laws last month that ban cell phone use while driving. Utah may want to consider creating a similar law as the number of car accidents resulting from cell phone use seems to be increasing.

The injured victims would benefit greatly by consulting with an expert Utah personal injury lawyer. An independent and immediate investigation is crucial to find the exact location of the victims at the moment of impact and document all available evidence at the accident site. An experienced accident attorney will also ensure all out pocket expenses and medical bills are completely taken care of and the injured parties receive all the medical treatment needed for their injuries. I have written a free book for accident victims, 7 Biggest Mistakes That Can Wreck Your Utah Accident Case, and How to Avoid Them, and encourage everyone to call our pre-recorded 24 hour message at (800) 851-3731 to order a book before talking to an insurance adjuster or even hiring a lawyer.