This comical YouTube video shows Mr. Bean in one of his usual sticky situations. Being late for work Mr. Been rushes to his car in his pajamas and continues to get dressed while driving. This situation is made comical by the fact that it is clearly an unwise decision, as indicated by his exaggerated motions and physical contortions. Like all successful acts of physical comedy the humorous actions are based in truth. Sadly, all of us do things while we drive that are like Mr. Bean’s morning routine.
Mr. Bean makes 8 major mistakes while driving:
1. He begins the ride stressed and crunched for time. Do not begin driving during an emotionally charged time. Our emotions can have negative effects on our ability to make good decisions on the road.
2.Mr. Bean continuously takes his eyes off the road in order to get dressed. Researchers at the University of Iowa have found that attention to driving is lost if sight is taken off the road for more than two seconds at a time. For more information on this see our previous post “Three P’s for Safe Driving”.
3. He gets distracted by his cufflinks. Do not intentionally do small and unnecessary tasks which, though done without taking your eyes off the road, take your mind away from the road. Common examples of these small tasks would be simple adjustments to car dials and buttons, eating in the car, or small adjustments to hair or clothing.
4. Mr. Bean over corrects when he finds his car drifting and ends up swerving off the road. It is a natural reaction to pull the car too far in the opposite direction when you find yourself drifting out of your lane. Though the original drift is dangerous the over correction is often what causes the accident. When you over correct the cars around you are caught of guard and other drivers do not have time to compensate for your mistakes and adjust to their surroundings. Over correction also places you in a lane and surroundings which you did not have the opportunity to observe or make accommodations for.
5. He uses a brick to hold down the gas peddle. Though we don’t typically have bricks handy in our cars we do have a tool that keeps are speed constant with our foot off the gas, the cruise control. Though cruise control is helpful for long highway stretches it should not be used in traffic or in highly populated areas. This is because the use of cruise control can slow your reaction time in stopping the vehicle.
6. He moves the steering wheel with his feet. It is safe to say that few of us would be flexible enough to use our feet to steer while sitting in the driver’s seat, but many are guilty of using body parts other than the hands to control the wheel. Knees and elbows are commonly used in order to free up hands to preform another action which causes distraction. If your hands remain on the steering wheel most of the possible distractions you can create for yourself will be eliminated.
7. Mr. Bean has a moment of excessive horn use. The horn’s primary function is to provide protection. It warns other drivers of impending danger. What is so helpful can become detrimental if used improperly. Proper drivers give short concise blasts of sound, but road rage or accidental horn sounds are longer and more startling to other drivers. unnecessary sounds distract the drivers around you and can lead to accidents, so don’t use the horn without good reason.
8. Mr. Bean spits out the window of the car. Do not throw materials outside of your car. Not only is it rude to do so and often is an illegal form of littering, it can also put you and other cars in danger. Items can hit windshields which can effect visibility or worse lead to broken glass and collisions. If you are not adept at throwing the item could also come back to hit your car in some way causing damage to your car and a potential hazard.
As you look at this list or watch the video you may give a small guilty chuckle and recognize that you have some of the poor driving habits which Mr. Bean displays. Be aware that, although you are not the only one who is blushing after seeing this, your reckless actions can unintentionally cause harm and serious accident to come to yourself and others. If you would like more information on what to do if you are involved in an accident caused by recklessness request our free accident book ” 7 Biggest Mistakes that Can Wreck Your Utah Accident Case”, and stop driving like Mr. Bean.
Image courtesy of Jack Pearce