There have been fires, wild or not, popping up everywhere. Just here in Utah alone, 2 fires were reported near Draper a few weeks ago. Summers are known for their dry heat, and as it’s coming to the end, the land is brittle and ready for something or someone to set it aflame. While many fires are beneficial and help rejuvenate forests, others can force people out of their homes and cause devastating damage. If there is a fire near you and you are forced to evacuate, here’s what you should know.
What to Do
Evacuating is all about preparation. Before a threat of evacuation even occurs, here are a few things that you should do to be ready:
- Plan where to meet. Have somewhere in mind to go in case of emergency. Make sure there is no question about where everyone in your family should meet.
- Place an emergency supply kit in your car. Read on in the article to find out what goes in this kit. You never know how long you’ll be gone, so this kit is crucial.
- Follow evacuation routes. Roads may or may not be blocked off depending on the hazard. Don’t take shortcuts or alternate routes because they may not be available.
- Know how to prepare your house before you leave. For a checklist of what to do before you leave your house follow the button bellow. In the case of a fire, it is best to make your house as accessible as possible for firefighters to fight the fire.
What to Bring
An emergency supply kit is one of the most important things you can take with you, besides your family. You can adjust the kit according to your family’s needs, but here are a few basic items:
- First aid kit
- 3-Day supply of food and 3 gallons of water per person
- Prescriptions or special medication
- Change of clothing
- Copies of important documents such as birth certificates or social security cards
- Extra pair of car keys
- Credit cards, cash, and/or checks
[/et_pb_text][et_pb_button admin_label=”Button” button_url=”http://www.redcross.org/get-help/prepare-for-emergencies/be-red-cross-ready/get-a-kit” url_new_window=”off” button_text=”Emergency Kit” button_alignment=”left” background_layout=”light” custom_button=”off” button_letter_spacing=”0″ button_use_icon=”default” button_icon_placement=”right” button_on_hover=”on” button_letter_spacing_hover=”0″] [/et_pb_button][et_pb_text admin_label=”Text” background_layout=”light” text_orientation=”left” use_border_color=”off” border_color=”#ffffff” border_style=”solid”]
If you lose your home because of a fire or other evacuation emergency, you can be compensated. Here at Christensen & Hymas, we are here for you. Call us today if you think you aren’t getting the compensation you deserve.