No one claims to love spending the afternoon waiting in line at the DMV. Many people believe that going into the DMV office is a necessary evil, but what they don’t know is that they can save time and a lot of hassle by filling out the majority of the forms online.

What can you do online?

  • Renew your license
  • Renew your vehicle registration
  • Make a driver’s license or ID address change
  • Make a car registration or title address change
  • Order your driving record
  • Pay traffic tickets

When do you need to go to the DMV office?

  • When applying for a new license
  • When replacing a lost driver’s license
  • When changing a name on your driver’s license or ID
  • When registering a vehicle
  • When changing your car title or registration

Even if you have to make the trip into the DMV office, you can still cut down your waiting time by making sure you bring the correct documents. Here is an outline of what documents the DMV requires for in office transactions. For more detailed instructions visit the DMV’s website.

Getting a Driver’s License

When replacing a lost driver’s license or applying for a new license you will need proof of identity, residency (in two forms), and Social Security number. The easiest way to do this is to bring in your:

  • Birth certificate or passport
  • Bank statement and a utility bill
  • Social security card or W-2 Form

To change your name on your driver’s license, make sure to bring proof of your name change with either a:

  • Marriage certificate
  • Divorce decree
  • Court order

When changing your name on your license, you will also need a new copy of that license with your updated name. That means you must also bring the documents listed above for applying for a new license. Check out the DMV’s website for a full list of accepted forms of identification.

Updating Registration

When registering a vehicle, make sure to bring:

  • The signed-over title or original title
  • Your driver’s license
  • Proof of Utah insurance
  • Proof of passing a safety inspection (if you live in Davis, Salt Lake, Utah, or Weber County)
  • Payment for registration fees

When you change the name on your car title or registration make sure to bring:

Police officer taking copying registration for a fender bender.It’s vital that you keep up to date with renewing your licenses, registration, and car titles with the DMV so that if you are ever in an accident you will not face any unnecessary charges or fees due to outdated documents. If an accident does happen and you or a loved one is hurt, you want to make sure that all of your paperwork is accurate so that you can get the help and compensation you deserve.

If you have any questions about your vehicle or license information, or if you have been in an accident, please call us today so we can help you sort things out. You can reach us directly at 801.506.0800.

Photo copyright to Mark Turnauckas