Consultations Are FREE!
Free Consultation Available 24/7
(801) 506-0800

You pay nothing until we win.

Last Modified: June 2, 2023

Utah Hit-and-Run Accidents: When Do I Have a Case?

Published on August 22, 2016 • Last updated June 2, 2023 by Ken Christensen
Topics: Auto Insurance

Being a part of a hit-and-run accident is a nightmare. Your car has been damaged, you may be injured, and you have no information about the person who did this to you. It is a time of absolute uncertainty. What do you do? Are you able to file a claim without the other drivers insurance information? Or are you just stuck? In this article we hope to clear up some of that uncertainty.

Gather Information

Even though the other car has left the scene you should still gather as much information as possible. For example, you should:

  • Try to remember what the car looked like. (model, make and any part of the license plate)
  • Note the time and place of the accident.
  • Write down what happened.
  • Take pictures of the damage done to your car.
  • Look for witnesses

This information may help the police catch the person involved in the hit-and-run. But even if they don’t catch them, it is necessary information to help your insurance company understand your case.

Do You Have A Case?

Fleeing the scene of an accident, or a hit-and-run is against the law in Utah. Therefore, a scenario like this seems to be the perfect place to file a claim. Sadly, it is not always the case. There are two possibilities when it comes to a hit-and-run: the police catch the person, or they don’t. Here’s what happens with both:

The Police Find The Person

If the police catch the person, you can easily gather their information. At this point, you can file a claim with their insurance company to compensate you for the damages. If they do not have adequate coverage, hire a Salt Lake City Accident Attorney. They will help you get the money you deserve.

The Police Do Not Find The Person

Accident cases are fueled by insurance (yours and the others involved). If the police don’t catch them, you have no way of knowing their information, making it impossible to file a claim with their insurance. However, all is not lost. Your own insurance company may offer uninsured motorist coverage. This type of insurance is for when you get into an accident with someone who doesn’t have insurance, as the name states. In addition, most of these plans include compensation for hit-and-run accidents. These plans will allow you to file a claim with your own insurance company. Utah does not require you to have uninsured motorist coverage, but it isn’t a bad idea. You never know if you might be in a hit-and-run and you can’t add this coverage after the fact. It is really about preparation.

If you have been in a hit-and-run accident, call us today. We understand that it is a confusing time. It can be hard to know what to do. You may even wonder if things are actually going to work out. Here at Christensen and Hymas in Utah, we offer a free consultation to help you understand where your case stands. We will help you get back on your feet and then be with you to take the next few steps.

Good Guys Injury Law - Orem

1145 S 800 E #101A Orem,UT 84097

Phone: (801) 224-2999

Good Guys Injury Law - Bountiful

503 W 2600 S #200 Bountiful,UT 84010

Phone: (801) 294-9500

Good Guys Injury Law - Salt Lake City

32 W 200 S Salt Lake City, UT 84101

Phone: (801) 849-1949

Good Guys Injury Law - Draper

11693 S 700 E #100

Draper, UT 84020

Phone: (801) 506-0800