Consultations Are FREE!
Free Consultation Available 24/7
(801) 506-0800

You pay nothing until we win.

Last Modified: March 1, 2023

Utah Motorcycle Licensing

Published on January 18, 2023 • Last updated March 1, 2023 by Ken Christensen
Topics: Utah Lawyer, Utah Motorcycle Accident Lawyer

Utah state law has several requirements that must be met in order to legally drive a motorcycle.  In order to operate a motorcycle, you must first receive a special license from the Utah Department of Public Safety.  On July 1, 2008, House Bill 72S 1 established new motorcycle licensing laws.  Now, the motorcycle rider is restricted to operating a motorcycle based on the cc size of the motorcycle on which they were tested.  The restrictions are as follows:

  • O = 90 cc or lower motorcycle
  • 2 = 249 cc or lower motorcycle
  • 3 = 649 cc or lower motorcycle

If you tested on a motorcycle with a cc of 650 or greater, you will be able to ride any size motorcycle.

If you already have a Utah driver license, you simply need to take a written and skills test to tack on a motorcycle endorsement to your license.  If you do not have a Utah driver license, you may apply for a motorcycle-only license if you are over the age of 16.  You must undergo the following steps to receive your motorcycle license:

  • Complete a motorcycle rider training course.  This course is not required, but is highly recommended.
  • If you are minor, you must have a parent or guardian sign your application.
  • For an endorsement, show your current driver license.  For a motorcycle-only license, you must show proof of name, birthday, resident address, and Social Security card.
  • Pay the applicable fees, ranging from $9.50 to $27.50 depending on age and type of license.
  • Complete a medical questionnaire and vision test at the driver license field office.
  • Pass the written and road tests.

For more information about motorcycle accident cases, please visit Christensen Law Firm’s website at  For a free consultation and to speak with one of our Utah motorcycle accident attorneys, please call us at 801.506.0800.

Good Guys Injury Law - Orem

1145 S 800 E #101A Orem,UT 84097

Phone: (801) 224-2999

Good Guys Injury Law - Bountiful

503 W 2600 S #200 Bountiful,UT 84010

Phone: (801) 294-9500

Good Guys Injury Law - Salt Lake City

32 W 200 S Salt Lake City, UT 84101

Phone: (801) 849-1949

Good Guys Injury Law - Draper

11693 S 700 E #100

Draper, UT 84020

Phone: (801) 506-0800