Many Utah residents love to camp in the state’s beautiful natural settings, but is it fun to do in the snow? If you are willing to brave the fierce and unpredictable winter weather, winter camping can be exciting. Some popular locations include Fish Lake, Straight Canyon, Mirror Lake Highway, and Jordan Pines in Big Cottonwood Canyon. Campers enjoy snowshoeing, ice-fishing, cross-country skiing, and snowmobiling in the frosted hills. However, camping in the cold can be dangerous. In order to ensure winter camping safety, campers should check the weather forecast, know nearby avalanche areas, pack first aid and emergency supplies, and create a plan for the unexpected.
Table of Contents
The Most Basic (and Important) Winter Camping Safety Tip
It may seem obvious that staying warm while camping in the winter is important, but sometimes tips are obvious for a reason. Keeping an eye on your body temperature is extremely important. Hypothermia is a serious and threatening condition. Here are some basic tips for staying warm.
- “Mountaineering tents” provide essential wind and snow protection.
- A ground cloth or pad underneath your tent will prevent snow and ice from soaking through the floor.
- Sleep on a sleeping pad or cot to stay off of the freezing ground.
- Pack warm clothing that will help you stay dry. Wear insulated layers close to your body and waterproof layers on top of those.
- Use hand and foot warmers!
- Bring a “mummy” style sleeping bag that is rated for very low temperatures. A good rule is to make sure your bag is designed to withstand temperatures at least 10 degrees colder than you are expecting.
These tips cover just one important aspect of winter camping safety. If you have other ideas or suggestions, please leave a comment and let us know!
Injured in the Snow and Ice? Call Us Today
As we mentioned, winter camping can be dangerous. In fact, winter can just be dangerous in general. If you are injured this winter due to someone else’s carelessness or negligence, you may be eligible for compensation to cover your losses.
The experienced injury attorneys at Good Guys Injury Law can help you. Give us a call at (801) 509-9734 or schedule a free consultation to discuss your case. We are dedicated to providing the best, most compassionate legal representation in Utah. We will do everything we can to win your case.