Spinal Cord Injury Resources
Injury to the spinal cord is a serious problem. However, you’re not alone. Here are some of the resources that spinal cord injury patients might find helpful:
- Utah Assistive Technology Program. The Utah Assistive Technology Program (UATP) is a federally funded program serving individuals with disabilities of all ages in Utah and the intermountain region. It provides assistive technology devices and services for persons with disabilities. It also offers professional service providers resources about assistive technology. It coordinates its services with community organizations and others who provide independence-related support to individuals with disabilities.
- University of Utah Spinal Cord Injury Program. The University of Utah Health Spinal Cord Injury Treatment & Recovery operates with the goal of helping victims achieve the highest level of function by creating a personalized rehabilitation plan to enable a person with a spinal cord injury to return to the community. The University of Utah Spinal Cord Injury Program has many components. Among these are TRAIL (Therapeutic Recreation and Independent Lifestyles), forums, sports and recreation, and wellness programs. The program helps victims adopt an active lifestyle. Prosthetics, occupational therapy, and driving evaluation are all a part of the treatment program.
- United Spinal Association. The United Spinal Association provides information and resources to meet the needs of over one million individuals who have spinal cord injuries and disorders, their families and friends, the medical and scientific community, the media, students, government officials, and the public.
- Think First National Injury Prevention Foundation. Think First National Injury Prevention Foundation is an organization that advocates the prevention of injury through lifestyle. It has an educational campaign aimed at giving information to teenagers and motorists on the safe use of helmets, seat belts, driving sober, and driving speed, all of which can lead to avoidance of injury and maintenance of quality of life.
- Utah Independent Living Center. The Utah Independent Living Center is a private, nonprofit corporation that provides services to maximize the independence of individuals with disabilities and the accessibility of the communities they live in. It is a non-residential facility. The organization provides peer support, information and resources, living skills, and independence training and advocacy both for individuals and for the community as a whole.
Table of Contents
Learn your Rights. Get Answers. Free.
What Is Assistive Technology?
Assistive technology is any item, piece of equipment, product, or system that increases, maintains, or improves the functional capabilities of an individual with a disability. It may be used as it is manufactured or modified. It may be customized or standard. Simply stated, assistive technology includes tools, devices, and resources used by individuals with disabilities to help improve their quality of life and increase their independence.