What To Do if You Are Bitten by a Dog
Dog bites can be very scary. It can be hard to know what to do and what questions to ask. Here is some essential information to help you understand what to do after a dog bites you:
- Seek medical attention. If the injury requires medical attention, call 911. In any personal injury case, you must prove that you were injured. Having medical records is a great way to begin the process of the claim.
- Alert the authorities to document the incident.
- Get the information of the dog owner and witnesses. Try to find witnesses to the accident and get their information too. Your words can only go so far in a courtroom. Having a witness and other evidence could substantially help your case.
- Take photos of your injuries. As mentioned, your case relies heavily on the severity of your injuries. Be sure to properly document your injuries with photos to be sure you are fairly compensated for the damages and pain and suffering that likely ensued after the accident.
- Document everything. Memories sometimes fail us. Claims can sometimes take months or even years to settle. Remembering every detail of an accident can be very difficult. Inconsistencies with your story could ultimately end your claim. Do your best to take notes and ask important questions like: Was the dog on a leash? Was the owner in control of the dog? Did I provoke the dog? Documenting immediately following the attack is the best.
- Consider hiring a lawyer. You should not settle for less than what you deserve. Hiring an experienced dog bite attorney can help you maximize your claim and move it quickly through the legal system. Good Guys Legal has dedicated and professional lawyers ready to help you with your dog bite case.
What Kinds of Things Are Compensated in a Dog Bite Claim?
Every case will vary, but in general, the following may be compensated:
- Medical Expenses
- Loss of Earnings
- Loss of Future Earnings
- Pain and Suffering
Working with an experienced dog bite lawyer can help you claim the maximum compensation you deserve. Legal experts will fully value your claim so you recover for all your damages.
Learn your Rights. Get Answers. Free.