Have you been injured by a bus? The results of a bus accident can be devastating to victims and their families. However, you may deserve financial compensation. Let the Good Guys Injury Law legal team pursue your claim and fight for justice on your behalf. Contact us today for a free and confidential consultation on your case.
Bus Accident Lawsuits in Utah
Bus accidents are less common than car accidents, but when they do happen, outcomes can be severe. Because seat belts are not required, and there are fewer safety precautions, the injuries resulting from a bus accident can be catastrophic.
When a bus accident occurs, the underlying cause can usually be traced back to the negligence of one or more people. Their actions may create legal liability and a way for victims to receive financial compensation.
If you have been injured in a bus accident, don’t face the stress of seeking fair compensation and treatment on your own. At Good Guys Injury Law, we have the experience you need in a lawyer. We will personally handle every aspect of your case with integrity and compassion to ensure you get justice.
How Can a Bus Accident Lawyer Help Me?
While your injuries may be apparent and your financial losses are mounting, getting the monetary relief you deserve is still a complex task. A bus accident attorney is trained and experienced in all the steps needed to help you win financial compensation. They can represent you in:
- Determining fault and who has legal liability
- Going beyond the surface to investigate additional causes of the accident and possible legal fault
- Determining all the compensation that may be available, including lesser-known categories like lost wages, pain and suffering, and mental anguish
- Gathering the proof of your damages
- Understanding civil procedure and how to file the claim
- Using legal rules to demand evidence and build the claim in your favor
- Knowing and taking the unique steps required when the claim involves a government entity
- Negotiating with the insurance company
- Listening to you to understand your goals and needs
- Conducting a trial, selecting a jury, and making arguments
Learn your Rights. Get Answers. Free.
Why Work With Good Guys Injury Law?
Our experienced team of personal injury attorneys, including Ken Christensen and Russ Hymas, will personally handle every aspect of your case to make sure you receive the most out of your injury claim. We seek to serve every client with integrity and compassion. We can help you overcome the pain, frustration, and expense of your accident to get justice and the monetary compensation you deserve based on Utah law.
Who May Be Responsible for Bus Accident Injuries in Utah?
Determining who owes you financial compensation after a bus accident isn’t always so simple. Several parties may be legally liable for damages, including:
- The employer of the bus driver
- Manufacturer of the bus
- Those responsible for the maintenance of the bus
- Supervisors of children or travel
- A tour guide or tour operator who set up the trip
- Government entities responsible for maintenance of the roads
- Insurance companies who have policies involved
In a claim for compensation, it may be appropriate to name multiple defendants. Legal liability for each defendant must be proven independently. Our lawyers can ensure your case is complete.
What Can I Receive in Compensation for a Bus Accident Lawsuit?
Compensation for a bus accident lawsuit may include:
- Emergency healthcare and attention from first responders, urgent care bills
- Surgery, X-rays, scans, setting broken bones
- Physical and occupational therapy
- Compensation for mental injuries and treatment like PTSD, anxiety, and depression after the accident
- Property damage
- Missed days at work and impact on career path
- Pain and suffering, mental anguish, emotional harm
- Permanent damages and scars, injury to lifestyle
While these are the categories of compensation that you may claim, your recovery is not automatic. You must identify the damages that apply, gather proof of the appropriate amount, and formally make each type of damage a part of the claim. Our lawyers work to address all categories of damages to make sure you’re claiming everything appropriate in your case.
Bus Accident FAQs
If you’ve been in a bus accident, you probably have many questions about what your next step should be, so we’ve compiled a list of frequently asked questions to help you during this stressful time.
What is the basis for a bus accident lawsuit?
The basis for a bus accident lawsuit is typically negligence. A party that shows a lack of care may have legal liability to others for damages. Lack of care can occur in many ways, like a driver who speeds, failing to leave sufficient following distance behind other vehicles, poor bus maintenance, and even inadequate upkeep of public roads.
Should you file a class action suit after a bus crash?
Victims of accidents often band together to file suits against powerful defendants. But if you disapprove of the tactics and strategies of the other victims, you are under no obligation to join the lawsuit. Instead, you can make a separate claim.
Will I have to testify in court?
Most accident claims don’t lead to the victim having to testify in court. We work to diligently build your case up to be able to negotiate a substantial settlement on your behalf. It’s up to you to accept a settlement or go to trial. We build your case and give you honest legal advice to put you in a strong position for the maximum settlement.
What is the statute of limitation for a bus accident?
The answer depends on the kind of recovery you want to receive. For no-fault accident claims, the typical time limit is half a year. If you are seeking compensation for pain and suffering or medical bills, you may have up to six years after the accident to file.
Can you sue the government for a bus accident in Utah?
Yes, it may be possible to sue the government for a bus accident. Utah Code 63-30d-101 to 63-30d-904 waives governmental immunity in cases of negligence, omission of a government employee, or defective conditions on the road.
Victims who wish to bring their claims against the government must provide notice giving the facts, nature of the claim, and names of any employees involved. The victim must wait 60 days for a response, after which they have one year to file the formal claim.
Should you hire an attorney to help you with your bus accident case?
In most cases, a bus accident lawyer is a good idea since they know the relevant case law and can help you avoid making mistakes that might potentially wreck your case. Moreover, those who hire a lawyer in an accident case usually receive a much higher settlement than those who pursue a claim independently.
Bus Accident Statistics
The U.S. Department of Transportation defines a bus as a motor vehicle designed to carry passengers. A minibus holds 16 or more passengers. A motorcoach has an elevated passenger deck on top of a luggage compartment. School buses, public transportation such as Salt Lake Express and vehicles used for tourist experiences, hotel shuttles and the like are all examples of buses. These large vehicles figure prominently in crash statistics.
According to the U.S. Department of Transportation:
- There are 14.2 million buses registered in the United States.
- In 2018, there were 4,630 fatal crashes involving buses.
- Approximately 25% of fatalities happen to passengers in the buses. Most of the time, fatalities occur to occupants of other vehicles and pedestrians.
From Desert News:
- Utah averages 92 bus accidents per year.
- A crash occurs about every four days.
From the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration:
- There were 1,236 fatal school transportation-related crashes in a 10-year period.
- Each year, there are approximately 137 school transit fatalities per year.
- School transit fatalities account for 0.34% of total vehicle crashes in the United States.
- Most school bus fatalities result from a pedestrian being struck by a school bus.
- Occupants of the school bus account for 7% of deaths in school transit accidents.
Safety measures for school buses have improved over time in the hope of reducing or avoiding fatal accidents. As always, strict adherence to traffic rules makes a significant impact in reducing these statistics. Our Good Guys Injury Law bus accident lawyer team wants to help you hold wrongdoers accountable and pursue financial compensation.
How to Start Your Bus Accident Lawsuit Claim
To start your bus accident claim, contact our legal team for a no-obligation consultation on your case. Our Utah personal injury lawyers are dedicated to serving you with integrity and compassion. Let us answer your questions and help you understand the legal process ahead. We focus on your case so that you can focus on your health.
Contingency Fee Agreement – No Fee Unless You Win
We believe that everyone should have the right to experienced and professional representation. That’s why we represent clients on a contingency fee agreement with no expenses to you unless you win your case. Contact us for a free case review today.